The overall objective of the project "Cleaner Energy Saving Mediterranean Cities" is to support local authorities in the ENPI South Mediterranean Partner Countries to respond more actively to sustainable policy challenges.
The purpose of this contract is to develop the capacities of local authorities in the region to formulate and implement more sustainable local policies, such as those implied by joining the Covenant of Mayors and developing the related Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs). Moreover, the project also aims to make national authorities aware of the need and the advantages of a strong involvement of local authorities in policy issues that have a direct impact on them. Such issues include, among others: local waste and water management, urban mobility and transport, as well as local energy consumption.
1. Improved knowledge of the ENPI South national authorities on the role of local authorities in the field of sustainable policy and progress in the design and implementation of support at national level of this role (for instance: via relevant legislation/regulation, national strategies, state programmes, etc.);
2. Increased capacity of ENPI South Local Authorities with regards to the development and implementation of sustainable policies, including CO2 reductions, expressed by an increase of the use of the participatory methodology and in the application of local policies covering issues such as renewable energy and energy efficiency, efficient water and waste management, the use of environmentally friendly means public transport and mobility and sustainable urban planning;
3. Improved awareness and involvement of the local population regarding sustainable local policies, including sustainable energy;
4. Improved implementation of the Covenant of Mayors in the region. A number of cities in the Mediterranean sign up to the Covenant of Mayors and develop and implement Sustainable Energy Action Plans that are of good quality;
5. Two regional focal points (one in the Maghreb & one in the Mashreq) are established, and able to become Covenant Coordinators/Supporters and/or Covenant of Mayors Offices at a later stage.