Name Of City/Municipality
Region Mouhafaza-District - Casa
Hebron city – it is located in the southern West Bank and is the center of Al Khalil Governorate
The population number according to the 2007 estimation of the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics for the year 2013 is 195,733 inhabitants
Name Of Mayor
Prof. Dr. Daoud Zatari, Mayor of Hebron
Palstine Hebron City – Hebron Municipality – P.O. Box 6
Phone : 00970-2-2228121-2-3
Fax : 00970-2-2228293
Hebron is the largest city in the West Bank. It is located 36 km south of Jerusalem, and is second oldest city in the world. It has been established and inhabited by the Canaanites and by Prophet Abraham in 1900 BC where he was buried with his sons and his wife Sarah. The city of Hebron is considered the second holiest Islamic city in Palestine after Jerusalem because of the Ibrahimi Mosque, which subjected the city to many attacks. It had been burned more than once throughout history, as during the entry of Joshua, and had been conquered by Persians and occupied by the Crusaders until it had been liberated by Saladin after the battle of Hittin in 1187. During the Mamluk era, the city flourished and expanded on all levels. In 1517, the Turks dominated the city for four centuries after which it was subjected to the British Mandate. Later in mid-twentieth century, the city had become affiliated to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan until it fell under the Israeli occupation in 1967.
Cultural Or Historic Status / Tourism Attractions / Natural Sites
The importance of the city of Hebron comes from the fact that it is a historical city deeply rooted in the ancient history, the second oldest city in the world, and that it is a sacred city that hosts the graves of the prophets and The Ibrahimi Mosque which is sacred for Muslims. The city also hosts several of holiest places such as the campus of Ram, the Old City, Tel Rumeida, Abraham's Oak (Peace Be Upon Him), the Holy Trinity Monastery, the Sultan’s Pool and the Museum of Hebron. In Hebron there are 1222 old buildings. Most of them are concentrated on the edges of the old town, and most of these buildings have been constructed during the Mamluk and Ottoman eras, especially the schools and Zawyas (small mosques) and Hospices.
Main Economic Activities (Industrial, Agriculture)
Sustainable Development Challenges
- Development in the Palestinian territories faces many challenges, which lead to the depletion of resources, the harming of the environment and the destabilization of Palestinians
- Existing restrictions on the Palestinian land, water, and airspace, are reflected by the closure of crossing points and restrictions on the movement of people and goods in Hebron
- The accelerating rise in the population number and overcrowding, the weakness of the available resources, the deep poverty and unemployment, and the health situation in light of the scarcity of financial resources represent the most important challenges facing sustainable development in Palestine in general and in Hebron in particular.
Energy conditions / Challenges
- The lack of funding for the power generation projects and their distribution networks .
- The limited participation of the private sector and foreign investment in the power generation projects and distribution networks .
- The absence of energy efficiency in various economic activities , which leads to an increasing demand on energy and environmental pollution.
- The high cost of wind farms limits their expansion, and their funding from donor countries.
- Lack of economic incentives that encourage the energy generation from renewable sources .
- Lack of sufficient awareness of the importance of energy efficiency .
- No strategic link between the various research centers and departments to enhance the field of energy efficiency in the industrial sector .